Wednesday, May 1, 2013

3. Kinds of Chickens

1. Okay, I really do not know much about chickens but what is the difference between them?  I always think of them like Chicken Little, white and yellow.  You state that you have Wyandottes, Silkies, Welsummer, Brahma Bantams, Andalusian, Ancona, Red stars, so what makes them different from each other? Haha! I was the same way! I knew that chickens could look different, but never really thought about how there are more than one breed. A chicken was just a chicken. The difference between all of these breeds is the same, basically, as it is between dog breeds or any other animal. They come from different places, have different traits and varieties, and are for different purposes.

Some chickens are amazing layers while others are bred for meat, like a Cornish.

There are so many different varieties, like laced, buff, speckled, mottled, you name it.

There are also a bunch of combs(the crown on it's head) pea, rose, single, dubbed, buttercup, and more.

 And some chickens do great in the cold, some in the heat.

We've done lots of research to choose our breeds.*
2. Speaking from a suburban knowledge of chickens, I have no clue about them and it is fun learning more about something I really have no knowledge of.  With that being said, what is a regular chicken?  Is there such a thing?  I know that I always think of brown or white balls with feathers that lay eggs?When you say a regular chicken you are probably speaking of a Leghorn(like the rooster from Looney Toons). They are just a solid white chicken with great egg production. They're also usually the ones responsible for the eggs you buy at the store. Chicken Little I think was also modeled after a Leghorn, but then again, with the hundreds of breeds, I could be wrong.

*Check out the "Henderson'sChickenBreedChart" on "Chick-a-doodle". It's where I do most of my research on breeds.

Love you lots!
kk

2 comments:

  1. Love the cross referencing. Thanks so much for the info. I am having a lot of fun with this.
    ww

    ReplyDelete